Sunday, October 2, 2011

Three Asian Languages. One year to get at least semi-conversational. I'm insane. o.o

Hello everyone. ^_^

This past summer, I had an epiphany. I finally figured out what I wanted to do with my life, or at least what I wanted to study in college. My last stab at college ended with me changing my major about 8 times, loving every class, and having the GPA of a rock. -.- However, never deterred and never one to stop aiming high, I applied to a 4-year university in my city. I indulged in the option to write an essay about WHY I should be allowed to study there, explaining my horrid GPA, my inability (or, actually, my refusal) to pin myself down to a major in that time, and my intentions this time around. I wasn't expecting much, mostly just hoping I didn't get a letter back that was nothing but laughter. I started preparing to go back to community college, but ran into a barrier. The community college wanted TONS of information for my financial aid stuff. Not wanting to apply for classes I might not get aid for, I pouted while I watched the Russian class I was thinking of taking fill up and struggled to get all the information they wanted. I forgot I'd even applied at university.

Until the letter came.

It was waiting on my desk when I got home from work one day, thanks to my roommate not forgetting my recent application. I ripped it open, ready to get the rejection over and get back on the tedious task of getting the community college to accept my financial aid. In the back of my mind, though, I noticed something. This is really thick for a rejection letter.

It wasn't.

The next day, I was in the adviser's office. I told her my dream. She smiled, nodded, and signed me up for two classes without really speaking. After a couple more minutes, I had 15 credit hours and walked out smiling. It was only about 20 minutes later, as I was on my way back home that I realized something. I was now taking Japanese and Chinese simultaneously. After a brief moment of shock, I shrugged. Why not?

Three weeks later, school in session, I made a decision. I was going to study abroad. I knew that. But I was going to three different countries at various points in my college life. I made the appointment and let it be known: I wanted to go to South Korea. THIS summer. Mind you, Korean isn't offered at my university. So, I did what any good language student would do: I checked out every book in the library that looked helpful. Now, three languages stared me in the face, daring me to learn them at the same time.

Challenge accepted.

Now, if you don't mind, I have a Japanese dialogue to learn by tomorrow, Chinese character homework, and Korean flashcards to go over. ^_^ Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment