Sunday, October 23, 2011

Of Sprained Ankles, Corn Mazes, and Flashcards

Flashcards are EVERYWHERE. On my desk, the cat perch, the floor, the file cabinet. Literally everywhere. In the center, me. The occasional swear words mixed with 'How in the hell did Korean get mixed with Chinese? And this is Japanese! Grrrr!' My roommates are wisely keeping away. Perhaps a little backstory is needed for this one.

A bit over a week ago, I sprained my ankle pretty badly. I pampered it over the weekend, and, come Monday, I was crutching around campus. Unfortunately, once I got home, I realized that had been a mistake. My ankle was still swollen, but my FOOT was five times it's usual size. A brief consensus with my grandmother (a retired ER nurse) told me that if I decided to continue with wandering around campus as I was, I would put my foot at great risk. So, for the past week or so, I've been sitting, bored, at home, studying to make sure I didn't miss anything in my classes. Which is what has led me to sit, surrounded my flashcards.

Ok, so not quite ALL week. On Friday, after three days of elevation, ice, and ace bandages so tight my toes turned purple at times, I could FINALLY walk on my foot. Having already promised to go with Japan Club to the corn maze, I went to the meeting. Two hours of making paper cranes and it was finally time to leave for the maze.

A note about this maze before I go any further. This is what was called a 'flashlight maze'. Therefore, inside the maze is pitch dark, and you use a flashlight to see your way. This was not told to us when we went, therefore only ONE person in our group of 30 brought a flashlight. Fortunately, flashlight apps on phones were available. I bought a glowstick, not so much to see by, but so that someone could find me if I got lost. ^_^

The ride there was filled with sushi and conversation about whether or not sushi should be made with avocado. Once we got there, I started chatting with a couple of people from club before we had all made it to the maze and got ready to go inside. I got separated from the people I was going to walk with, and wound up in a different group. I only knew three people, so it amused me to no end when one of them got overly-excited, started running and wound up in the mud. It had been raining for the past three days, so the ground was uneven, muddy, and very very precarious. How our ONE phone with a flashlight got passed around to the tall, skinny guys I'll never know, but that's how it wound up happening. At one point, I asked Adrian to slow down, only to hear from behind me: 'What? I'm back here.' 'Then who has the light?' 'Me.' -.- 'That helps.' After a little while, our group of about 10 had whittled down to three: Me, Adrian (the tall skinny one with the light), and Keifer, whose arm I was attached to. We had decided to keep each other upright on the slippery ground. Most of the maze, all I'd heard on my right was softly accented swearing every time he stepped in a puddle or 'Are you ok?' any time I slipped. We'd done well to keep each other out of the mud. At points, it wasn't uncommon to hear: 'Anata wa doko desu ka?' 'Koko desu!' 'Koko wa doko desu ka?!' (Where are you? I'm here! Where is here?!) We met up with people along the way, which always led to happy yelling and hugs. After a bit though, it would be just the three of us again. We picked up Vanessa, the girl I'd ridden with, at one point, and our group became four. Once Vanessa joined, the laughter just kept coming. Other than slipping into the mud numerous times, it was always Vanessa who noticed when we lost people after we'd met another group. She'd then move to the middle, in front of Keifer and I, talking about how she wasn't getting eaten by the corn people. At one point, I fell behind. Keifer was helping Vanessa stay upright until she got her bearings again, and I'd paused to readjust my pants. When I looked up, they were gone. I moved through the maze, hearing Vanessa asking about me. Then I heard Keifer yell 'I see her! I see the glowstick!' He rounded the corner and found me, and the four of us continued. After a while, Adrian's cell phone rang. I can only assume they were asking where we were, because Adrian mentioned we were still in the maze and then, after a few seconds of listening said 'WHAT?!?!' Turns out, pretty much everyone else had made it out already. Seeing as we'd let Adrian lead all night, we were still exceptionally lost. Finally, after another half an hour of wandering, or so, we emerged from the maze, laughing. Never letting Adrian lead again, THAT'S for sure.

Anyway, I has to get back to studying. :p
^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment